CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Body After Baby Week 6 recap

What can I say about this week? Goose egg in terms of loss on the scale. Still sitting at 4.5 pounds lost. With only 2 weeks left, I don't know now if I am going to reach my pound-per-week goal. It could happen, I guess, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm not giving up, either, though.

Same story as the past few weeks, really. I'm not pigging out on junk but I'm not tracking my food (and I swear, I MUST track very diligently to lose. I know this from the past). I definitely need to drink more water, too. Same old song...

I have been getting in workouts whenever possible, even if that means getting up at 4 a.m., which I have done. To be honest, I kind of like getting up and getting my workout in so early. Then it's out of the way, and I don't have to leave at the end of the day when I'm tired and all ragged out from being Mommy all day.

This morning I had to be home by 6:10, and the gym doesn't open until 5:30. That put me in a tight spot because I wanted to do weights AND take a quick shower before coming home, but I found a complex workout on this blog and kind of adapted it because my lame-o gym doesn't have barbells.

Here's what I did.
First, I got to the gym before it opened and I parked there and ran up the road .8 miles and back, kind of as a warm-up, so I got in a good mile-and-a-half run before my weights.

Then I went inside and grabbed the 20-pound dumbbells. I went through this circuit doing 8 reps per exercise (except the man-makers), without resting or putting the weights down.

Overhead press
front squat
bent-over row
plie squat
incline flye
stiff-legged deadlift
then 3-5 man-makers

Then I put the dumbbells down and took a drink of water, shook out my hands, and picked up the dumbbells again. I did 4 sets of the 7-exercise circuit. By the last couple sets, my hands were really cramping from holding the 20-pound dumbbells! They're not usually bad, but when you're doing all those exercises without putting them down, your hands get tired. Or at least mine do!

Oh, and if you don't know what a man-maker is, check out this video. It's one of my absolute favorite exercises because it hits a little of everything, wears you out quickly and if you're a chick, it makes you feel pretty tough when you do them! :) I highly recommend slipping these and pull-ups into your workout whenever possible

Speaking of tired, that brings me to this week's mini challenge: Get 8 hours of sleep a night. I laughed when I read that one! Even if you don't count the times I get up to nurse (yes, there are still timeS most nights. I am so weak when it comes to letting him cry at night instead of nursing!)

I was surprised. I managed to get 8 hours of "sleep" meaning in-bed time one night this past week. But I am not kidding when I tell you I had to go to bed at 8:50 p.m. to do it. That's ridiculous! I know it will get better as Jordan gets older and his sleeping improves. Really, I'm kind of getting used to going to bed sometime around 10 and getting up around 4:30. More sleep would be a nice luxury, though! Maybe I'd even drop a pound or two!

Anyway, even though I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped I would (and that's no one's fault but my own), I am glad I joined this challenge, and if Samantha does another one, I'll join that one, too.

As for whether or not I will submit my before and after photos for this one, well, um, I am not so sure about that since those measly 4.5 pounds lost don't really show up in photos!

Anyway, head over to Mama Notes if you want more info on the Body After Baby Challenge or if you just want to read a blog written by a good mommy!

On to Week 7!!!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

wow I am super impressed at that workout! Good job!!! I don't do well on sleeping either :( Oh well, I hear it gets better :)

Gwenn said...

That is an awesome workout! I think the reason the scale isn't moving is because you're building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, but if you keep at it the weight will start coming off quickly because building muscle burns more calories!

Great job..you are doing waaaay better than me in the workout department :)

Jamie H said...

So glad I'm not the only one disappointed with my over-all progress (or lack thereof). Hoping I can finish strong over the next two weeks!