CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth day recap

Hey hey Happy Earth Day, even though it's almost over!

Well, it was a pretty spring day weather-wise here in Michigan. Not super warm, but warm enough to play outside, and very sunny. Got up at 5 a.m. after the second night in a row of very little sleep. (2 nights before, Logan was up all night crying due to a raging ear infection, and then last night, Jordan was up all night. I think he's teething, but can't be sure. I know, though, that he has a TERRIBLE diaper rash. I feel so so so bad for him.)

Started the day with a jog. Came home to a crying, up-way-too-early baby. Logan woke up crabby too. Yay fun. We were all tired and crabby.

After breakfast and a shower for three, thanks to a very bad diaper situation, we headed out to check out a couple garage sales because I'm looking for a baby slide or SOMETHING I can actually allow Jordan to climb. No luck. Went to a bulk store for some wheat berries to make name gardens for the boys and ended up buying a make-your-own laundry detergent kit that is supposed to even out to something like 2 cents a load and be better for the environment. I'll blog about how that goes once I get into it.

We came home and had lunch and then went out for a nature hike out back on the airport property. Didn't see much. The most exciting part was a tiny pond where we saw raccoon and deer tracks and one frog hanging out in the water.








After we got back from our walk, we broke out the bubble solution that I mixed up the night before from a recipe in Toad Cottages and Shooting Stars by Sharon Lovejoy (See review here), and that turned out to be the highlight of the day.

The recipe I used was:

2 cups distilled water
1/2 cup blue Dawn (not Ultra) dish soap
1/4 cup light corn syrup

Mix together gently, trying not to make foam. Store overnight before use in lidded container.

I made a double batch.

We tried a few different things to make bubbles and had the best luck with two chenille stems (pipe cleaners) made into a loop. We got realllllllly soapy and sticky. Jordan usually loves bubbles but he wasn't all that interested. He played in the water for a while and then occupied himself going up and down the deck stairs. Logan had fun popping the bubbles I made. I had trouble getting a good photo with one hand while trying to make bubbles with the other hand, but some of them turned out kind of interesting.

















Right after popping a big bubble



Baby playing in the soap, and sticky, soapy baby handprints going up the deck stairs





After bubbles, we played roof ball for a while (throwing balls up onto the garage roof, trying to get them to go over the house. None did.) and then headed back inside where I bathed the soapy boys and made dinner: homemade chicken breast nuggets, boxed blueberry muffins and a mix of corn and lima beans. It was kind of "use up some leftover crap in the freezer night."

And now? Jordan's in bed, Logan's going to bed soon, I have to steam the wrinkles out of some preschool graduation gowns and then I want to take a hot bath if there's time. I am really hoping for some good sleep tonight because I'll be up at 5 again tomorrow, heading to the gym. Oh, crap, and we're out of bananas! I always eat a banana before my morning workout. Grrrr....

Anyway, morning will surely come too soon.

Hope your Earth Day was wonderful, however you spent it.

Good night!

1 comments:

Tina said...

Hope you were able to get a better night's sleep last night and have an entirely peaceful day today. Or as peaceful as it can be with two little ones. :)