CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 16, 2010

Need a good, natural sunblock!

I've never been great about using sunblock on myself, but I vowed to be better about it starting this year. I am much better about slathering my kids with it, though.

Recently, I bought a couple Neutrogena sunblock products. One was the Pure & Free Baby lotion (SPF 60+) for the kids, and the other was the Ultra Sheer Dry-touch Sunblock (SPF 55) to put on my face before my makeup.

We popped 'em open for the first time yesterday. I started with my face, and MAN! That stuff BURNED! It kind of went away, though, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I gooped the boys up with the Pure & Free Baby and we spent the day outside in the sun. No burns for any of us.

BUT... This morning, as I got Logan ready for school, I realized that his face and neck, and to a lesser extent, his arms, were broken out in a rash in precisely the spots the Pure & Free lotion touched.

(The rash isn't greatly visible in these photos, but it basically looks like I slapped him silly.)





I checked out the baby and he doesn't have a rash, but Logan's rash and my burning face has made me rethink this Neutrogena stuff. I want to protect our skin, but what can I use?

If anyone has any suggestions for a good, safe, natural sunblock, please let me know! I guess I wasted $20 on the Neutrogena stuff because I don't want to use it again. Taking a look at the insanely long and un-pronounceable ingredient list, I wonder what, exactly, it's "free" of!

I contacted the company via their Web site. We'll see what they say, if anything.

5 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

First of all, YOUR note to me MADE MY DAY. It brings home to me WHY I sometimes spend 12 and 14 hour days in my studio drawing and writing like a fool. Thanks so much for your words about Toad Cottages & Shooting Stars. It was truly a labor of love (as was Roots Shoots Buckets & Boots, Sunflower Houses etc.)

I would be so delighted to have you review the book. I am a huge fan of Michigan and get more letters from Michigan than any other state. For some reason they've adopted me!

I enjoyed perusing your wonderful blog. What a lucky family you have.

I am going to become a follower of your blog to keep up with you.

Please check out my blog http://sharonlovejoy.blogspot.com.

Sending fond wishes to you and my husband will send you a cover image.

All joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Tina said...

Sorry I don't know about another option on the natural sunscreen since we have the Neutrogena stuff ourselves...but you could probably return it to the store. Most places have a return policy on cosmetics and things and if you say it gave you a rash I think they would take it back. Worth a try. Sunscreen is $$$!

Alicia said...

If you're willing to fork over the $20 for the Neutrogena stuff, then the $18 or so for California Baby won't seem so harsh. We love it. You can get it at Target in the baby section. http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html

I use it on my face too (although I don't think it'll work under makeup). Both my daughter and my husband have eczema, so we have to find products that don't cause major rashes. We found this last year after I researched for hours and hours and hours on the net.

If you're looking for a little SPF protection for your face built into a makeup, try Afterglow cosmetics. It's vegan, and I have to tell you, it is the bomb. I've been using it for a little over a year now. I have super sensitive skin, so even other mineral foundations totally made me break out. This stuff actually makes my skin BETTER. A starter kit is like $68, but it's totally worth it. My initial kit lasted about 6-8 months until I had to buy extra finishing powder. The foundations lasted a year and have built in natural SPF 20 protection. http://www.afterglowcosmetics.com/

I swear I don't work for either of these companies. LOL. It's just when I finally find products that work, I have to share. I get so excited because so much crap out there just totally fails to meet the expectations it claims to deliver. I've wasted tons of money on stuff I only use once or twice.

Elizabeth D. said...

We use California Baby and love it. I have 2 fair skinned girls and have never had a problem. I use about a bottle and a half for the whole summer- its a little expensive but I think its worth it!

Anonymous said...

California Baby. If you're going to spend the money this is the one to buy.