CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cotton buds review

Since I started this blog in August, I've taken many steps to reduce the amount of disposable stuff in my house. Diapers, wipes, napkins, paper towels and Swiffer pads have all gone cloth in my home.

Recently, I realized that I still have disposable cotton balls. Cotton. As in, should be reusable.

So, I contacted moocowmomma on etsy, since she had sent me a bunch of reusable wipes in the past, to see if she had any interest in making any small cotton rounds to replace cotton balls. She pointed me to the leahstreasures etsy shop, where I was able to find exactly what I was looking for.

I contacted the seller and she sent me a set of her little cotton buds to try out (at no cost to me). They're crocheted and completely adorable, don't you think?





I don't go through many cotton balls as it is. Basically, I use them to take off nail polish and occasionally to wipe down my face. I had this little glass jar in the cupboard and I decided I would put some of the rounds in it (they fit perfectly!) with some witch hazel and keep it in the fridge so I can use a cool pad to wipe down my face after I run or go to the gym and can't take a shower immediately.



Well, I don't know what's wrong with me. I didn't WASH the cotton buds before I put them in the jar. So, I added the witch hazel. Then, later when I went to use one, I realized that the colored yarn had bled. So, a couple of my buds are discolored. I put them all in the zippered mesh bag that came with them and I washed them, and then I selected the lightest-colored buds to keep in the witch hazel.

I have since tried them after running and LOVE the way they absorb a little more of the witch hazel than a regular cotton ball. It doesn't run down my arm when I use it, and the texture of the rounds is kind of scrubby and feels good on my skin.

I plan to reserve the few discolored ones to use with nail polish remover, and then the rest are going to be kept in a decorative milk glass candy dish in my bathroom for whenever a cotton ball is needed.

Thanks to leahstreasures for sending me this awesome, eco-friendly product, and thanks to moocowmomma for pointing me in the right direction.

Head over to the leahstreasures etsy shop to get some of your own. You may have to ask for them if you don't see them in the shop, but she said she has plenty of them made up.

0 comments: