CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

live live sunscreen review

Last month, I blogged about the horrible rash Logan got from Neutrogena's Pure and Free baby sunblock.

It took at least a week, week and a half, for the rash to go away completely. After the redness went away, he still had rough, sandpapery skin for a while.

Needless to say, I started looking for a different sunblock.

I came across a company called live live (rhymes with "give five") and contacted them about their sun products, telling them what happened with the Neutrogena. They agreed to send me a bottle of their natural SPF 30 sunscreen to try. I got to choose between the orange and citronella scents. I was advised that most people choose the orange, but I opted for the citronella since we have a lot of mosquitoes here I Michigan and I thought maybe the sunscreen would do double duty as a bug repellant too. Actually, since I made that decision, I noticed that they tout it as a natural repellant on the live live website!

The bottle arrived in the mail just as the spring rainy season arrived. I kid you not, I had to wait a couple WEEKS to even try it out!

Finally, though, the sunny warm days have returned, so the past few days I've slathered the kids up with the live live and we've been playing outside in the sun.







Right away, I liked the feel of this sunblock. It doesn't leave that horrible gloppy feeling on my hands. It actually makes my palms feel kind of warm when I'm applying it, but all citronella and lemongrass products do that to me so I think I'm just sensitive. It goes away and doesn't irritate, it just feels warm while I'm putting the lotion on. Neither kid seems to feel it and neither of them has shown any irritation whatsoever from this sunblock. Plus, it seems to do a good job. Neither of them has so much as a smear of sunburn on them. I only applied the sunblock once per day, too. (I know, I should reapply more often, and if we're out for a long, long time, I will).

The scent is most definitely citronella! Logan likes it. He says it smells like lemons. It reminds me of camping. I just noticed the first few mosquitoes flying around yesterday. Neither boy was bitten, so maybe the sunscreen is helping!

Anyway, I have absolutely no complaints about this sunscreen and plan to buy more once this bottle is gone. We'll use it on the whole family.

Here's the description of the product I got from the live live website:

"The BEST sunscreen in the world! Also the best natural insect repellant in the world! Tested in the north woods of Ontario, Canada (where people wear mosquito net clothing!). Protect your sensitive skin the healthy way. Contains only natural ingredients: Deionized water, apricot oil (organic), MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), sweet almond oil (organic), usnea extract (organic), vitamin E, calendula extract (organic), coconut wax, glycerine, tea tree oil, aloe extract 200:1 (organic), vitamin A, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin D3, micronized titanium dioxide, micronized zinc dioxide, essential oil of citronella. SPF 30+ "

live live also offers a lot of other products including bodycare, food, books and more. Visit the live live website to see what they have!

Oh, and Neutrogena? They received my complaint and after a week or two, someone called and peppered me with questions for their "medical research." Then, they sent me a $10 coupon for their products, excluding sunscreen (which I wouldn't have bought) and cosmetics (which I was planning to buy with the coupon.) So, I got some stupid face wash that I don't like. Thanks a lot, Neutrogena! I just wanted a refund, not more of your crap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found something better; boo Neutrogena- I'll protest their products if it makes you feel any better but I never buy them anyway. Sun protection is so important!
Katherine

Maureen K. said...

This is good to know. I used the Pure and Free Neutrogena product yesterday and today have a horrible red raised rash where it was applied. I will never use it again.

Anonymous said...

As an adult, I used the Neutrogena Baby 60 SPF to protect my neck and decolletage area. I now have a violent red rash which burns and stings horribly and there is nothing, not even 1% hydrocortisone cream which will help. I wouldn't put this anywhere near a baby and before use, suggest anyone try a very very small patch first. June