CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cloth diapering interview with Samantha

So, I'm trying to make the leap from disposable diapers to cloth. It's something I wish I'd done right away when Logan was a baby but I just didn't. It seemed like a pain in the butt. Now Jordan's already 8 1/2 months old. I cringe when I think of all the toxic diapers I have sent to the landfill, but I guess switching late is better than never, right?

But then I started researching, and found myself more confused than ever. There are so many types, kinds, brands, and it's EXPENSIVE to just try one out and find you don't care for it. It seems like every mommy blogger is writing about different cloth diapers and some LOVE Brand A and HATE Brand B while others adore B and despise A.

What's a mom to do?

Well, I found myself with lots of questions, as I'm sure any mom making the switch does, and one of my favorite mommy bloggers, Samantha from Mama Notes, agreed to answer them.

Here's my interview with Samantha:

Q: How long have you been cloth diapering and how old is your child?

A: We've been using cloth since our son was 3 weeks old. We have been going strong since and now he is 7 1/2 months!

Q: Why did you decide to go with cloth in the first place?

A: The first thing that attracted my to cloth diapers was the idea of saving money. My husband and I are/were tight with money, so if we could save money any way, we were going to try it! We thought we could probably get a few for baby showers and such so we would hardly have to spend much at all on diapers! And we did, which was so nice! I also wanted to avoid putting chemicals on my baby if possible.

Q: Do you ever use disposables?

A: Yep! We use disposables at night. I haven't found a cloth diaper yet that I like using for nights. And, we don't have a ton of diapers as is, so I save them for using during the day.

Q: What kinds/types of cloth diapers have you tried?

A: Oh, I have tried tons. I have tried pre folds, snaps, velcro, one size, home made diapers, diapers made by big companies... lots!

Q: What is/are your favorites and why?

A: My favorite diaper are Fuzzi Bunz (snaps) and Bum Genius (velcro.) I like the Fuzzi Bunz a LOT! I love the snaps and the way they fit my son. The BG are nice too, but the velcro is starting to fray so those come in 2nd place behind FB. :)

Q: How many cloth diapers do you have?

A: We have 15 right now. I want/need more! My son just grew out of his size small Fuzzi Bunz so we have to buy size medium now.

Q: How many do you suggest a mom get when she's starting out?

A: Well, the more the better but you really only need 12 or so. The less you have just means you have to do more laundry. When we first started, we only had probably 10 diapers. I was doing laundry almost every night! It works, it's just nice to have more diapers.

Q: Do you also use cloth wipes?

A: Sometimes. I'm being lazy right now and using disposable wipes, although I don't know why. Using cloth wipes is actually easier when using cloth diapers because it allows you to throw everything in the wash versus putting wipes in the trash and diapers in a separate bin. The wipes I use are just baby wash cloths. They are nothing fancy and all I do is get them wet first!

Q: Do you find cloth diapers leak more than disposables?

A: Yes, some do. I have never had a disposable leak, but I have had cloth leak. A cloth diaper leaking could be a variety of things; too big of diaper, a detergent, a very heavy wetter... One of the reasons I use disposables at night is because I haven't found a cloth diaper that holds 12 hours worth of urine! I know there is a diaper system that works for this though because I have many friends that do use cloth at night and all the time.

Q: How do you clean your cloth diapers? What kind of detergent do you use? Do you put them in with your regular laundry or wash them alone? etc.)

I do two loads in the washing machine- one on cold and one on hot- and then hang to dry or dry in the dryer on medium setting. I use Purex Free and clear.(NOTE: Samantha appears to be re-thinking the Purex after being told it might not be the best choice for cloth diapers on her latest blog post.) They are washed separately from all our clothes. I explain my cloth diapering wash routine in detail here.

Q: Do you ever feel like you "play with poop" a lot? (I'm afraid of this!)

A: Not really. I'm just lucky right now though, my son only poops a couple times a week!

Q: What is/are the hardest or most challenging part(s) of cloth diapering?

A: Gosh, it really isn't hard at all! The hardest thing is putting the clothes in the laundry machine!

Q: What is/are the best part(s) of it?

A: Seeing my babe in a cute diaper. :) Knowing that I have spent my money wisely and that I'm doing what I can to help the Earth!

Q: How do you manage your cloth diapers when you're out for a full day or traveling?

A: I have a little wet bag and I just bring them with me! Instead of throwing them away, I put them in a little bag. If we're on vacation, I usually bring disposables.

Q: What advice do you have for a mom who's just starting out in cloth diapering?

A: Its fun! It really is not that much work, I promise! It's great for your wallet, baby, environment and it's just adorable!

End of interview.

Samantha's not kidding when she says it's adorable. Here's her little Lucas sporting a bright orange diaper in support of Oregon State University. Go Beavers! Isn't he the sweetest thing?



Check out Samantha's great blog, Mama Notes, (this is the one with the Body After Baby Challenge!) by clicking here.

0 comments: