CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 26, 2009

Not-good mom!

Logan's new name for me when he's mad at me is Not-Good Mom.

Example:
Me: Logan, please eat your breakfast.

(five minutes later)

Me: Logan! Eat!

(five more minutes)

Me: Are you kidding me Logan?! Eat your friggin' food! You haven't taken two bites in the last ten minutes!

(five more minutes)

Me (having an aneurysm): Logan! Get your skinny little butt off the baby's head and get back on that bench and EAT. YOUR. FOOD. Or we'll never make it to school on time!

Logan: Fine, Not-Good Mom.

Yes, that's Logan's new name for me when I do or say something he doesn't like. I find it kind of funny actually.

But I don't know... I got to thinking this morning about ways that I am actually not a good mom sometimes. Lately I feel like I've been a less-than-stellar mother.

We haven't read together enough.
We haven't gone outside enough.
I am always "just a minute-ing" my kids.
I have put chores before children.
I have said "shut up."
I have been impatient and annoyed at normal child behavior.
I have lost my cool and yelled.
I have said "no" too many times
And so on...

So, I'm making it my mission this week to be more present and in-the-moment with my boys. It feels like they are growing up too fast and I think it's partially because I have not been fully THERE. Sure, I'm here, I'm with them all the time, but I'm also distracted by other things. I might sit on the floor to do a puzzle, but I might also be kind of watching a DVR'd TV show at the same time.

So, I'm going to try to be better.

Because I don't want to be Not-Good Mom anymore.

0 comments: