CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pure Barre Pershing Square 1 review

Good morning!

Well, it's Day 3 of the Body After Baby Challenge on Mama Notes and I decided to try a new workout DVD this morning: Pure Barre Pershing Square 1.



Now, I'm a huge fan of workout DVDs, but the problem is, I get them and then don't do them. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's just that my house doesn't FEEL like a gym. Maybe I need to actually get myself out of the house to work out. I don't know. But I decided to try to change that during this Body After Baby Challenge because now that I have two boys, sometimes the gym just doesn't happen for me, like if one of them is having a meltdown, or if Hubby gets home from work late.

Before Logan was born, I was taking ballet classes at a local dance school and my legs were strong and probably more flexible than they had ever been before. However, life happens and leaving the house right before Logan's bedtime to drive a half hour, take a class, and drive home just didn't work out for me, so I stopped taking ballet. And slowly, I lost the flexibility and strength that the barre work had given me.

That's why I decided to try the Pure Barre workouts. Today I did the Pershing Square 1 DVD. It's around 45 minutes long and looks deceptively simple. As a matter of fact, I previewed it when I got it and didn't have high expectations for the workout. Boy was I wrong!

The workout uses a support like a chair (or a barre, if you're in a dance studio) and a small ball. Then, you do small isometric movements to target your hips, thighs, butt and abs. And if you're doing it right, it hurts. Immediately. Seriously, folks, there's a burn! At one point I had to stop the movements and start pounding on my thigh because it was burning so badly!

One thing I thought was nice is that between each section of the DVD, there is a stretching part to release the tight muscles you just worked. Trust me, you need it!

Pure Barre is NOT a cardio workout. You won't be jumping around or anything like that, but I did break a sweat and feel like it was a good way to start my day. I will be trying out the Pershing Square 2 DVD as soon as my legs can handle it!

For more infomation about the Pure Barre workouts (or even to find a class in your area), check out the Web site at purebarre.com.

0 comments: