Sunday, September 6, 2009

A wonderful date!

So, I went on a date today. The thing is, I went with a guy that is NOT my husband and, well, we got physical.

You see, with school starting on Wednesday, I have been feeling a little sad that my little boy, Logan, will be gone three mornings a week. I wanted to go out and do something with just him, because it's been all about the baby since Jordan was born.

We stayed home for Labor Day weekend this year, and the weather has been STUNNING, but the mosquitoes are amazingly bad. It's torture to even go on the deck and grill something for dinner. They are literally hanging on the screens waiting for someone to come out. Therefore, we have been unable to enjoy the weather, pretty much all summer! It stinks. We have actually spent a great deal of this weekend building Legos. (Actually, Hubby and I have been building Legos while Logan hovers waiting for something to wreck as soon as it's built, and Jordan sits there and watches, probably waiting for an errant Lego to come near him so he can eat it.)

Well, this afternoon, I just wanted to get out of the house for a while, so I asked Logan if he would like to go for a jog with me. (The extent of his real running are 2 kiddie races, one was a quarter-mile and the other was much shorter.) He thought that sounded like a fun idea, so we got dressed and grabbed some water bottles and headed into town.

Honestly, I didn't expect much. I thought he might jog for a while and then we'd end up walking back to the car. We walked a short way to warm up, and then started to jog. He was so excited! He kept saying things like "This is fun, Mom! This is the first time I went for a run like you and Dad!" Every so often he'd stop to take a really quick sip of water, then he'd immediately start jogging again.

We followed some paths around town and looped back near the car, but when I asked him if he wanted to stop or keep going, he said keep going, so we did. We jogged for 35 minutes! I was sooo impressed. Of course, we were going quite slow--at least for me, and I'm really slow at running these days--but his little legs were just pumping along. About the last 8 minutes or so, he was pretty ready to be done, but who can blame him? We came to the last little stretch before the car, and we started to race to see who could touch the car first. He "won" by just a hair. Then we had a little stretch in the park and I got him a vanilla shake to celebrate (My son is sooooo skinny!)

He was so proud of himself, and I have to say I am proud too. I plotted it out as accurately as I could on the Gmaps Pedometer and I think we went around 2 1/2 miles in 35 minutes. Not bad for a 4 year old!

Then we came home and he was looking at a magazine article that I had torn out that had some yoga exercises you could do with kids, and he practiced those for about 15 minutes. He kept talking about how he was doing things that were good for his fitness (Something they've been working on in his karate class for the past couple weeks.) It was so precious.

I love doing stuff like that with him. It was good for both of us in so many ways, but the best part was just spending some one-on-one time with my sweet little boy. Best. Workout. Ever!