CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's in those brownies?!

I came across this brownie recipe from Whole Foods on Twitter recently and thought it sounded interesting. To be honest, I was prepared to be disappointed, because it just sounds so weird, but I was pleasantly surprised today when they turned out to be quite yummy! Really!
I think black beans are one of my least favorite legumes, and I still liked these brownies, so give 'em a try! They're not exactly healthy, but at least they contain some fiber and protein.

From www.wholefoodsmarket.com

Flourless brownies
Makes 16
No one will ever guess that black beans are the secret ingredient in this recipe!

Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
3 large eggs
1/3 cup melted butter, more for the baking dish
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts

Method
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and carefully stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.

Nutrition
Per serving (1 brownie/about 2oz/60g-wt.): 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 17g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 4g protein

I did have to cook them just a couple minutes longer than the recipe stated, but that could be because I used a disposable foil pan rather than a real glass or metal one. I also didn't have the gluten-free vanilla or chocolate chips. I just used regular ones.

Enjoy!

0 comments: